Saturday, June 9, 2012

Book Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


Before I start my review, I'd like to talk about the two covers. The old cover (top) is very cliche. I do not like it. We've seen girls dressed up for a cover a book million times. I'm really glad Harper Collins decided to change the cover to the new one (bottom). It perfectly resembles the story.

This book was unique. One of a kind.
This book kept me reading. Addicted.

Yes, I really enjoyed this book. The idea is wonderful. Suppose you have a power curse, but your power doesnt help people. It kills people.

 What I liked about this book:


1-Writing style: Hands down, the best thing about this book was the writing style. Tahereh Mafi truly writes beautifuly. Shatter Me is her debut novel, but it's is perfectly polished. It doesn't feel like it is a first-time published book. It is full of imagery and visuals. You see the site of birds, waterfalls, nature... Another really fascinating writing technique was the crossing out. Congratulations Tahereh Mafi, you have brought created a new unique writing style into literature. 

2-Narrative: I think our main character, Juliette, had a very authentic voice. The way she sees things is very different than any character in young adult books. 

3-Ending: While I was reading throughout the 330 page book, I never knew where this book was gonna go. The story went somewhere I did not expect at all. It gave this bad-ass epic feel to it, made me smile.

What I didn't like about this book:

1- Romance: I've reached a point where I don't mind romance books anymore, and sometimes I feel that there's something missing in the book. However, with Shatter Me, I thought Tahereh Mafi overdid the romance. It felt like Juliette thought about her romance way too much. There was too much emphasis on descriptions.There was too much kissing. Kissing the lips, necks, nose. It made me a little uncomfortable at many instances.

Overall, this book is an amazing debut novel full of adventure. Tahereh Mafi is a brilliant writer and I can't wait to read Unravel Me.


0 comments:

Post a Comment