Thursday, July 5, 2012

Book Review: Fracture by Megan Miranda

Title: Fracture (Fracture #1)
Author: Megan Miranda
Publisher: Bloomsbury UK

Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it? Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?


Okay, let me start by saying that the blurb of this book is just the most misleading blurb EVER! Seriously. How I expected this book to be was WAY different than what this book actually was. Some people told me it's paranormal. Others said it's contemporary. I personally think that this book could best be classified as thriller. However, that didn't stop me from finishing this book.

Let's start with the opening sentence. "The first time I died, I didn't see God."
How could anyone NOT go crazy over that? I'm serious. That itself did a great job in keeping me hooked. Then, of course, comes the idea of a girl dying and coming back to life. It's all just really fascinating.

Let's move on to the characters in this book:

1-Delaney: Delaney is the girl who died and miraculously comes back to life. I have to say, Delaney was one of the really awesome YA characters. You get to love her. Even though she isn't your Katniss or Tris (she isn't physically strong), you still get to love her. It's her personality you fall in love with, how she views the world.

2-Troy: Troy was absolutely a very complicated and well-written character. He actually managed to give me shivers. Sometimes I thought he isn't human. Although his inhuman-ness came from humanity.(Read the book you'll understand what I mean more)


3-Decker: Decker was an admirable character. I guess Decker is a good friend, a person you can rely on type of guy. He's there for you and gives you hope.

I want to talk about the writing style in this book now:

When I first started reading this book, I noticed lots of medical terms. Well, I thought perhaps Miranda researched these medical conditions. However, Miranda wrote in an extraordinary way. She crafte an amazing writing skill. She managed to give us the information well. I mean, she provided us with medical terms without making us confused. At the same time, she did justice to these medical information. She managed to balance between sending her information in a light way. This made me think: "Is Megan Miranda a doctor?" I immediately Googled her, and found out that she was a biologist.
I just have one thing to say:"WOW Megan Miranda. YOU ARE INSPIRATIONAL!!!"

This book is more than just a story. It makes you think. It haunts you. It whispers to you "this could really be real". It frightens you. It makes you ponder. Ahhh. Words can't do this justice.

I loved this book. All those who haven't read this. Pick it up now. Words can't describe how great thos book is, because this book isn't just a story you read to get entertained. It's more than that. It's much more than that.





3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the first sentence of the book - it gave me chills, and I hadn't even read the rest of the book yet. And it's so memorable, that I remembered it by heart, without having looked at the book since I read it at the beginning of the year, when I mentioned the book in my video the other day! It's an incredible first line to a book!

    Great review - you did a great job. Loved that you mentioned several different aspects of the book, and the review is really clearly structured, so it gets your point across really effectively!

    I'm glad you liked this - I adored it too!

    Dani
    Pen to Paper

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really happy you liked this review since you are one of my favorite bloggers =D
    yes that first sentence! GOOSEBUMPS!
    thank you for commenting-made my day =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thank you! I'm blushing now, haha!
    That sentence is just ... ah! There are not enough positive words to describe it - it just blew my mind!
    Glad I could be the one to make your day! :)

    ReplyDelete