Friday, July 6, 2012

Book Review: Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Title: Incarnate (Newsoul #1)
Author: Jodi Meadows
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books

New soul


Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.


No soul


Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?


Heart


Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

The cover. The cover. The cover. The cover. The cover. The cover. The cover. The cover. The cover.
It is driving me insane. Seriously. The people who designed this cover are GENIUSES!!!!!!! They should be given some honor award. It is PERFECT! I can't stop staring at it. In fact, I am staring at this cover as I am reviewing this book. Get all positive adjectives in the world and put it here;it would still be an understatement. Everything about it is attractive: the model, the colors, the butterfly, the fonts...EVERYTHING! WOW.
Enough with the cover. I'm here to review the book, not the cover =P

I have to start by saying this book was not how I expected it to be.
Some books, like this one, have an impact on you after you finish it. I will talk about what I mean exactly in details.

Things that stood out in this book:

1-Writing style: This book is written beautifully. BEAUTIFULLY. I love how Jodi Meadows writes. Very unique. Many people have unique writing styles, but how Jodi Meadows writes is just pure. It is very passionate. It's coming out of the heart.

2-World Building: Heart was one of the most imaginative worlds come to life. I have no idea how Meadows came up with it. It's beautiful. It's complex. It's overly creative. Seriously. A world that is a heart, it has a pulse. People come back to life when they die. It's a world where sylphs and dragons are real. The most interesting creatures live. Wow. Just WOW!

There definitely are more things, but I can't really put them into words. Just know this: Jodi has a magical talent.

Things that disappointed me:

1-Story Focus: This book was more about Ana than the world. It was about he she was different, how everyone reacted to her, how she was the "freak" of their world. I wanted there to be more story to it. More twists and turns.

2-Pacing: This book had action, twists, turns, but only in the end. It took time to get used to this book. I felt that nothing much was happening. It felt too slow and I felt that I wasn't enjoying this book as much as I wanted to.

However, this gets me to something I mentioned earlier: Some books, like this one, have an impact on you after you finish it.
Like I said, I felt that I wasn't enjoying this book, but once I was done with it, I kept remembering things from this book. It had an impact on me. I could feel the awesomeness of this book. I could get flashes from the book and kept enjoying the flashes.

I really liked this book, and I will definitely check out Asunder, which comes out next year. Check the cover below.







5 comments:

  1. I actually really liked that the story was focused more on Ana. You get enough information about the world as Ana learns more about it herself (because obviously, she's the 'new soul' - I refuse to call her the 'no soul' - so she's learning about the world too). I don't know how I'd have coped, had I been in her shoes, so I think she's an incredibly strong character to survive what she did!

    I'm absolutely looking forward to Asunder - it's going to be a great sequel!

    Dani
    Pen to Paper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this book was really good =D I'm glad I read it. And yes, I do agree that she is a strong character. Many people seem to have problems with her, but I think she was a very intriguing character

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is sitting on my shelf half-read. I think Ana complains too much but then she has a right to be guarded.
    BTW great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks =D yeah I couldn't connect with Ana's voice. I don't know, she's weird

    ReplyDelete