Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Book Review: The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Eternity Cure (Bloof of Eden #2)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Format: Ebook
Source: For review



Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.

Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.


Thank you Harlequin Teen for accepting my request to review this book. 

Have you heard of the "Second Book Syndrome?" Well, this book suffers from that! I've seen people saying how the second book in a series hasn't lived up to their expectations, but I hadn't ever encountered that situation. UNTIL NOW!

This book is divided into three parts. Part one had a solid interesting start. Part two was boring at its best. And part 3 is where the action began.

As you might know, I really enjoyed The Immortal Rules when I read it last month. Even though I thought the pacing was slow, it wasn't nowhere as bad as this one. In many instanced, I just wanted to put this book down and stop reading it. But I couldn't do that. I persisted. Then part three started and some awesomness started. It took 80% of the book to finally pick up pace.

Part three had action and twists and turns, blended with Kagawa's creative captivating writing style. Sadly, it was THE best part of the book.

The Eternity Cure focuses a lot on drama. A lot on finding things. A lot on Allison's struggle to not lose control, which got dreary.

It really pains me to rate this book this low, but the story went absolutely nowhere until part three. Julie Kagawa focuses too much on the drama and internal struggle. Too much about running away, about finding and chasing whoever is causing destruction. With 445 pages, the book could have been filled with MUCH more interesting things. These books are too long for their content. With how they're written, they could EASILY become shorter, keeping me hooked. Sadly, that's not the case.

As for the characters, I find Sarren to be interesting. He's a well-written villain. Jackal is another interesting character. His humor=FLAWLESS. Allison: kick-butt as always.

I have to praise Julie Kagawa for her well-done character development, writing style, and her interesting take on vampires. She has a genuine way of handling these matters.

Overall, this book was quite disappointing. I was expecting more things to happen. The Eternity Cure was definitely a filler and a build up to the conclusion. Sadly, it failed to attain my interest. The Immortal Rules was a much greater book compared to this one.

Note on the ending: I will definitely read the third one because of the semi-cliffhanger. I hope that the third and final book will attract my attention.


2.5/5 

0 comments:

Post a Comment